What’s the Banana?
Banana is the common name for flowering plants of the genus Musa and for the fruit they produce. This fruit is an edible and delicious that is one of the widely cultivated crops in the tropical and subtropical zones. This yellow peel and long – curved fruit has nature’s own energy-rich food that we can use it in various desserts, drinks and foods and the most people eaten banana around in the world.
- Outer features: The banana has a protective outer layer (a peel or skin) with numerous long, thin. Its shape is elongated and curved. The banana peel color is green, yellow, red, purple, or brown when ripe but its common color is yellow (Creamish-white).
- Inner features: The banana is seedless and Its flesh is soft, easily digestible and with rich in starch. Its content color is white- cream
- Flavor and taste: The prominent aroma of natural ripe Banana and free from any fermented & off flavor and scorched or caramelized flavor. The ripe banana taste is sweet.
The searchers say the banana is a primordial fruit. Investigating about the genesis of banana we see that it dates back to prehistoric times. The local area of cultivation of banana is South-East Asia; the jungles of the Philippines, Malaysia, and Indonesia are still seen crammed with the range of bananas. In 5000 B.C the substantiation of first bananas is founded in New Guinea, in 600 B.C bananas are pointed out for the first time in text of Buddhism. We auxiliary see that in 327 B.C Alexander the great stated about the existence of bananas. Beginning from 200 AD Chinese people started cultivating bananas. Islamic conquerors exported bananas to Palestine in 650 AD. Studying about the birth of banana we see that it dates back to 5000 B.C.
Where is Banana Growing?
The bananas product and grow in wet (rainy – sunshine), tropical and sub tropics areas around in the world including India, Australia, United States and etc.
How is Banana growing?
Bananas do not grow from a seed but from a bulb or rhizome. On the other hand although it looks like a tree, it is not a tree, because its trunk consists of leaf stalks growing close together and not of wood. So some searchers say the banana is fruit and vegetable (herb).The banana tree or herb usually grows to a height of 15 to 20 feet. The time between planting a banana plant and the harvest of the banana bunch is from 9 to 12 months. The flower appears in the sixth or seventh month. Bananas are available throughout the year – they do not have a growing ‘season’.
The bananas grow in large; cone-shaped bunches hanging below the large leaves. There may be one hundred or more bananas in each bunch, but only one bunch on each trunk. Bananas are grown in tropical regions where the average temperature is 80° F (27° C) and the yearly rainfall is between 78 and 98 inches. They require moist soil with good drainage. In fact, most bananas exported are grown within 30 degrees either side of the equator. Banana growing is, in general, labor intensive, involving clearing of jungle growth, propping of the plants to counter bending from the weight of the growing fruit, and irrigation in some regions. As well as an intensive use of pesticides, the conventional production process involves covering banana bunches with polyethylene bags to protect them from wind, attacks of insects or birds and to maintain optimum temperatures.
Banana Harvesting Time
The Bananas are generally mature 3 to 6 months after flowering. Mature bananas are not harvested when they are yellow; they are harvested while they are still green, but with a slight yellow tint, which is hardly noticeable. The fruit is round and plump instead of a square or sharp angular shape, and does not have any noticeable ribs. Mature bananas are also still hard. The flower bract is dry and breaks off easily from the fruit tip — that’s when you know its harvest time.
How to Keep Bananas
Not Yet Ripe (unripe)
Leave the banana (a little green) in a closed paper bag at room temperature. If you want to speed up the ripening process. Add an apple or a tomato to the bag to ripen the bananas in less than 1 day.
When the bananas become ripe its color is yellow, speckled with a bit of brown put them in your refrigerator, preferably at a temperature of about 50F (10C). Also the banana should be away from direct sunlight. In this way we can store for no more than 2 weeks.
Banana & Nutrients
Banana is a rich source of high nutrition, minerals (Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, man genus, Phosphorous, Potassium, selenium, sodium, zinc, copper), vitamins (A, B, C, E, K), protein, dietary fiber, antioxidants. So the Banana can help and raise the immune system against diseases.
Banana is a high calorie, fat and sodium fruit. The banana contains simple sugars like sucrose, fructose, and glucose. These sugars are digested by our body at different speeds, and therefore, our body stays energized for a longer duration of time and keep revitalizes the body. This fruit contains about 12.23 g sugar and 74 g water.
Per 100 g of the Banana includes:
- Minerals: Potassium – 385 mg, Calcium – 5 mg, Iron – 0.26 mg, Copper – 0.078 mcg, Manganese – 0.270 mg, Magnesium – 27 mg , Zinc – 0.15 mg, Sodium- 1 mg, Selenium – 1.0 µg, Phosphorous – 22 mg.
- Vitamins: Vitamin C – 8.7 mg, Vitamin A – 64 IU, Vitamin B9 (Folate) – 20 µg, Pantothenic acide – 0.334 mg, Vitamin B1 (Tiamina)- 0.031 mg, Niacina – 0.665, vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine) – 0.036 mg Vitamin E – 0.10 mg, Vitamin K – 0.5 µg,
- Principle: Calorie – 90 Kcal, Protein – 1.09 g, Carbohydrates – 22.84 g, Total Fat – 0.33 g, Dietary Fiber – 2.60 g, Cholesterol – 0 mg.
Therefore, the banana can help and raise the immune system against diseases.
Banana & Protections from Disease
The banana is rich and excellent source of high nutrients so it can be useful for our health and can also help or treat some diseases.
The banana is highly effective in enhancing the immune system function. The banana is suitable source of vitamin C which is a powerful antioxidant that protects our bodies from free radicals that can cause oxidative stress and lead to a host of severe medical conditions. The bananas are good source of calories and fats so can put them as supplement food in the treatment plan for underweight children.
Suitable and enough energy for kids and adults
Bananas provide the much-required boost of energy by converting the natural sugars instantaneous into energy. That is one of the main reasons for sportsmen to consume this rich delectable fruit during breaks. A couple of Bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous workout of one and a half hour. Hence, they make an excellent breakfast option for kids and adults providing the required energy throughout the day.
Too much oxidative stress caused by free radicals that it’s with many different types of cancer. (Include lung, mouth, throat, colon, stomach and etc.)The vitamin C in banana protects our bodies from this oxidative stress. The banana has been shown to contain an anti-mutagenic component, helping to prevent the mutations of genes that may initiate the cancer process.
Vitamin B1, B2, B3, and B6: Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), and B-6 are all a form of vitamin B, that help the body in the formation of red blood cells, and enables the proper functioning of the nervous system. Vitamin B1 is known to be helpful in handling stress, and is therefore known as the “anti-stress” vitamin. Vitamin B1, B2, B3, and B6: Vitamin B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), and B-6 are all a form of vitamin B, that help the body in the formation of red blood cells, and enables the proper functioning of the nervous system. Vitamin B1 is known to be helpful in handling stress, and is therefore known as the “anti-stress” vitamin.
Heart Health and Reduce Blood Pressure
Due to its high potassium and Low Sodium, the banana can help maintain blood pressure within normal ranges and prevent hypertension. Potassium helps the body maintain a fluid balance, and ensures healthy muscle contraction and functioning of the kidneys and heart. Studies indicate that the consumption of bananas significantly helps in reducing hypertension. This is because this fruit is high in potassium and has a negligible amount of sodium. Studies also reveal that for people who consume a high amount of sodium, the potassium content in a banana would decrease the excessive amount of sodium in the body, and therefore keep problems like high blood pressure and stroke at bay. In addition, potassium plays a critical role in regulating and improving heart function and heart health.
The minerals are one of good sources in the banana so help alleviate muscle fatigue, prevent muscle cramps and improve muscle strength.
Treat most of diseases
– Banana is a good source of Magnesium and Phosphorus. The searchers are said that a lack of magnesium makes you feel more tired and exhausted. Magnesium is also useful for the proper growth and functioning of the bones, muscles, and nerves .phosphorus is also necessary for the body to ensure proper growth and maintenance of bones, tissues, and cells present in the body. It also plays an essential role in maintaining energy levels of the body, and producing the body’s genetic building blocks.
– Banana fruit is a good source of potassium; Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure; it thus offers protection against stroke and coronary heart diseases.
– Digestible Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are digested by the body and converted into glucose (sugar). No other fruit contains more digestible carbohydrates than bananas. This is advantageous, because the body burns off calories from carbohydrates more easily and quickly than calories from fat or protein.
– Furthermore, it contains a good amount of vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine), thiamin (vitamin B-1), vitamin-C, and manganese. Consumption of foods rich in vitamin-C helps the body develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful oxygen-free radicals. Manganese is used by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase.
- Dessert, Drink, Food
There are various Desserts, Drinks and food around in the world. There are different recipes for make and cook that only enough we search on the internet network.
- Help and Treat some diseases
Acne, to tighten up under-eye bag, whitens (Use it as a toothpaste) your yellow teeth, dry out a wart and etc.
- Make a face mask
You can use a banana as an all-natural face mask that moisturizes your skin and leaves it looking and feeling softer .A medium-sized ripe banana into a smooth paste, then gently apply it to your face and neck. Let it set for 10-20 minutes, then rinse it off with cold water. Another popular mask recipe calls for 1/4 cup plain yogurt, 2 tablespoons honey, and 1 medium banana.
Importer and distributor of the Banana
Ario Co is one of the main importers and distributors of fresh fruit with high quality in Iran country. Our company was founded in1985 and our main purpose is buying and importing products with high quality to be provided customers satisfaction. We are the main distributor of various products including Banana for the Iran markets, wholesale markets, distributors, retailers and supermarket chains. Ario co works in close relationship with European or Asian growers and farmers from all over the world using sustainable farming standards, especially GLOBALGAP, BRC, HACCP and ISO. We have the reputation of being serious fresh fruit importer in Iran.